Every society has flag hoisting and other cultural events every republic day. Watching the republic day parade live or in television has been a ritual for many. Today housing societies organize programs to mark these national days. These events include flag hoisting and other cultural events.
There are various facts associated with our national days, some known and some unknown. These are facts that make us proud of our Heritage and strengthens the connection.
Here are some facts
- January 26th, 1930 was initially celebrated as India's Independence Day. This is the day that India decided to fight for full independence.
- Officially the Indian Constitution came into effect on the 26th of January in 1950, at 10:18 am. Post which India became a Republic country.
- Before the drafting of the Constitution, India followed the British Government's Government of India Act 1935.
- The Indian Constitution comprises of 448 Articles in 22 Parts, 12 Schedules, and 97 Amendments. It took 2 years, 11 months and 18 days to be completed. It is the longest constitution and after that, 94 amendments have been made to the constitution.
- Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar drafted the constitution and hence is known as the father of the constitution.
- The song “Abide with Me”, is played at the Republic Day Parade. This is because it was a favourite of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The republic day ceremony includes the distribution of prestigious awards like Param Veer Chakra, Maha Veer Chakra, Veer Chakra, Kirti Chakra, and others.
- As a mark of the honour 21-gun salutes are given every year during the hoisting of the national flag by the President of India.
- Beat Retreat event on 29th January marks the end of the celebrations. The curtains fall in Victoria Square/Vijay Chowk and pay tribute to the traditional act of retreating at sunset after a day of battle. This ceremony is concluded by live performances from the bands of the armed forces. The event is concluded with the retreat of the Indian Army on the music of “Abide with me” and at 1800 hrs, bugles sound signifying the closure of the 4-day long event.
Share these facts with residents of your society. Plan the republic event through the ezeeServe app and ensure that everyone is updated about the program schedule.